My afternoon train reading:

• Are Small-Cap Stocks Overpriced? (WSJ)
• Industrial Stocks Take ETF Bounty (Bloomberg)
• Millions by millions, CEO pay goes up (USA Today)
• How Techmeme Became The Must-Read News Site For Everyone In The Multibillion-Dollar Tech Industry (Business Insider)
• Soaring Housing Costs Driving Educated People From Big Cities (Real Time Economics)
• Average Is Over: Why The Skills Required For Great Jobs Are Changing (Farnam Street)
• The Ultimate Guide to Solving iOS Battery Drain (Overthought)
• GOP Grapples With The Unsettling Fear That Obamacare May Succeed (Talking Points Memo)
• Why Global Warming Will Cross a Dangerous Threshold in 2036 (Scientific American)
• Americans finally understand that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol (WonkBlog)

What are you reading?

More Investors Are Drawn to Dividends

Source: WSJ

Category: Financial Press

13 Responses to “10 Monday PM Reads”

1. > Soaring Housing Costs Driving Educated People From Big Cities (Real Time Economics)

Still, the figures underscore how much America’s two largest cities, along with San Francisco and San Jose—long magnets for highly-educated people in the U.S. and from abroad—are simply pricing buyers out. That’s a key reason places like Portland and Seattle in the West and Arlington, Virginia, and Dallas in the South are gaining educated professionals, experts said.

What Seattle is increasing suffering from is gentrification . . . a growing proportion of the city’s population in the lower income strata is unable to afford the cost of housing, whether residential or apartments. See:

Affordable housing in Seattle just as important as minimum wage (Seattle Times)

My guess is the city is also becoming less ethnically diverse – it’s already a very “white” city like Portland – with various groups being forced to live farther out in order to afford housing.

• willid3 says:

which sounds a lot like southern California. many lived very far out and commuted in. and its was a long commute too. and it used to be that it was cheaper to be out in the burbs than in the city. then it reversed, now I guess it has again

2. rd says:

Re: GOP and Obamacare

The W Administration had a four year windowwith the presidency and both houses of Congress that gave them the opportunity to completely redesign the US healthcare system. If they had follwed the Reagan or Clinton play books, they would have stolen the idea from the Democrats and executed a GOP friendly version. There is no way that the Democratic senators could have filibustered a decent healthcare proposal.

Instead, they opted to allow Obama to steal the idea back from the Republicans by executing Romneycare on a nationwide basis.

It is hard to see how they retake the high ground on this by wallowing in muddy trench warfare making ti clear to everyone that they are willing to to take down the middle class in order to score what they perceive as political points for the GOP base.

3. willid3 says:

myth of no business investment?

not sure this is true or not

4. willid3 says:

on that ceo compensation chart, wonder what it looks like if you add previous and 2013 sales? 2012 and 2013 profits? and if you could add average employee (non executive) income?

5. Stock Soup says:

the S&P is 2.8% off it’s high and everyone’s freaking out. feels more like a market bottom then a top too me.

however, this drop has some differences then last time
    1- tech and mid cap leading the sell off
    2- sector rotation to utilities (most scary) and high quality shares, over last two months

if we break through the 50dMA on the S&P, I hope we get a clean 10-12% correction,
    a good bull market needs a good correction every once in a (long) while

(I should start my own blog!)

6. Giovanni says:

@James Cameron while Seattle may be ‘suffering’ from Amazonization it’s hard to see how it is becoming more ‘white’ instead of less. True the service workers are being forced out of the city by rising rents but a lot of the gentrification is coming via high paid workers from around the world coming for the tech jobs.

7. Giovanni says:

RE: @rd’s comment, while I agree the repubs fumbled the opportunity to steal an idea from the dems, I can’t really see how nationalized Romneycare was a win for the dems when my healthcare premium doubled under the ‘Affordable’ Care Act. Maybe all those newly signed up uninsureds will decide to vote but I doubt they outnumber those whose premiums rose precipitously.

8. mpetrosian says:

I love the marijuana articles. I don’t drink much. In hawaii, we have a local thick cut bacon that I grill and nibble on with Dalwinnie scotch, but thats it. Weed has been a beautiful thing for me. I have awesome streams of thought and awestruck moments after a couple hits and the right record playing. It’s something to respect and savor in moderation. Open you’re mind and try it . Breathe in and out; take in this moment. Life is so cool.

9. mpetrosian says:

Also. Barry. Is there a record of a users comments? Is it possible to see all the comments I’ve left? I know I will cringe and want to crawl in a hole, but I think it would be good for people. Sometimes I read past emails I’ve written and can’t believe it was me that wrote it. Might be a good tool for reforming trolls like me.

10. thomas hudson says:

writer takes issue with how ezra klein interpreted study he based his recent vox article on(how politics makes us stupid):

Kahan et al. did discover that math skills increased polarization. Not polarization in political bias, though: within the experiment’s sample of subjects, polarity in political bias was a given. The polarization that worsened was between likelihood of solving the problem correctly when it confirmed biases and likelihood of solving it correctly when it contradicted biases. Intriguingly, that polarization was not only higher when math skills were higher. It was also higher among conservatives than among liberals.

here is the paper: see figure 7