Unwind with some afternoon reads:

• The Retirement Apocalypse That Isn’t Coming (Bloomberg)
• 8 Fat Swine for a Tulip: A Brief History of Bursts (NY Times)
• ‘Indie’ Brokers Walk the Walk (WSJ)
• How Big is the Global Stock Market? (Reformed Broker)
• Managing Your Advisory Practice By How Much You’re Paid For Your Time (Kitces)
• Wall Street Finds New Subprime With 125% Business Loans (Bloomberg)
• Some of You Must Fail (Motley Fool)
• After two years of solid urban growth, more Americans are moving again to the suburbs and beyond. (WSJ) see also Rent or Buy? The Math Is Changing (The Upshot)
• Put a fork in Chris Christie: He will never, ever be president after this bad month (Salon)
• Climate science is a hoax: Big Oil, GOP, God say so (MarketWatch) see also On Climate Change, Big Oil vs…. The Insurance Industry? (Bill Moyers)

What are you reading?

Signs of a Suburban Comeback

Source: WSJ

Category: Financial Press

19 Responses to “10 Thursday PM Reads”

1. VennData says:

CNBC’s talking heads think it’s OK for Mark Cuban to be a vigor

Carusso-Cabrera, no surprise, thinks it’s all about taking property. Well if everybody on CNBC starts refering to Carusso-Cabreera in demeaning terms for Latinas I wonder how long she would take it?

NBA fans don’t want racist owners like Sterling and Cuban.

2. Robert M says:

Just amazing how we in the West can be so much in favor of Boko Haram.

3. rd says:

Generally speaking, I bet on the insurance industry for any big, important long-term issues.

However, regarding climate change, the biggest single insurable risk from it is flooding, both “flash” floods and sea level rise. In the US these are the pervue of of the fedeeral government through FEMA’s flooding insurance program. The politicians do not allow it to operate on an actuarial basis, so there is no graded risk (e.g. house in 10-yr vs 100-yr flood zone), the program is subsidized, and redrawn flood insurance zone maps go through years of political and legal battles with the goal of reducing the number of people within the demarcated flood zone.

The effective loss of large swaths of two metropolitan areas in 10 years (New Orleans and NYC areas) have still failed to really register on the political landscape except that a lot of people are really annoyed that measures to prevent flooding may spoil their views.

4. VennData says:

Vladimir Putin Will Sit Down for CNBC Interview Friday Morning

​http://www.mediaite.com/tv/vladimir-putin-will-sit-down-for-cnbc-interview-friday-morning/

​And NBC also gets Snowden​

​http://www.mediaite.com/tv/nbcs-brian-williams-scores-first-ever-american-tv-interview-with-snowden/​

USSR doing media deals left… and well left. I mean right…Will Rand Paul be serving them drinks? Pleading with them not to attack, dressed in a skirt?

From Texas Secessionists to Federal government deniers. The GOP the unpatriots.

5. Whammer says:

That Marketwatch article reinforces the idea that the comments section on a climate-change related article contains some of the stupidest shit on the Internet. Benghazi is another contender…

6. VennData says:

Putin’s Singapore Dream Costs Crimea Banks and Burgers

“…President Vladimir Putin is trying to transform Crimea into the Singapore of the Black Sea. That effort so far has cost Russia’s newest republic its entire banking system and all three of its McDonald’s…”

“…Now almost every bank on the peninsula, from billionaire Igor Kolomoisky’s Privatbank, Ukraine’s largest, to Italy’s UniCredit SpA (UCG) has been shuttered. Unlike UniCredit, which is refunding deposits, Privatbank simply pocketed the cash, leaving its clients to seek compensation from Russia…”

7. VennData says:

Does the Austrian Economist Frederick Hayek own an NBA team?

“…I don’t have many strong dislikes. I admit that as a teacher—I have no racial prejudices in general—but there were certain types, and conspicuous among them the Near Eastern populations, which I still dislike because they are fundamentally dishonest. And I must say dishonesty is a thing I intensely dislike. It was a type which, in my childhood in Austria, was described as “Levantine”, typical of the people of the eastern Mediterranean. But I encountered it later, and I have a profound dislike for the typical Indian students at the London School of Economics, which I admit are all one type—Bengali moneylender sons. They are to me a detestable type, I admit, but not with any racial feeling. I have found a little of the same amongst the Egyptians—basically a lack of honesty in them…”

8. Expat says:

There is no arguing climate science with oil money, right-wingers or Believers. The only hope is that when catastrophic changes occur, most of them die off.

If other sentient life is watching Earth, they are probably hoping for a major meteor strike just to save the galaxy from us.

9. winstongator says:

8 Fat Swine for a Tulip:A Brief History of Bursts
    I guess we should be happy it’s not October?

10. A says:

Prince Charles & Vlady:
    Charlie will never be considered as one of the Queen’s crowning achievements, but it is refreshing to finally hear a ‘politician’ telling the truth.

11. lucas says:

I deeply resent the implications in the Kitces article. I do not agree that practitioners are unaware that some clients are more profitable time-wise than others. In fact, in my experience, they are very aware and will not help a client they deem “not worth the time.” Worse, this attitude pervades many of the “helping” professions. One well-known example is the lack of access to legal advice for people whose problem may be huge for the person, but not worth it to the lawyer. As a master tax adviser, I too am aware that I may spend an inordinate amount of time solving someone’s “small” problem. However, I refuse to send the client away for that reason as so many of my colleagues do.

12. lucas says:

From Rent or Buy, “the typical home price is still 30 to 40 percent below 2006 levels.” The main conceptual problem is the pervasive thinking that 30-40% below 2006 levels represents a discount. Such thinking exemplifies the erroneous idea that 2006 levels were fair levels, even though the other side of the brain knows perfectly well that 2006 levels were bubble levels. You have to examine local conditions, but it is possible that today’s prices are still too high, and that the 30-40% recovery has been insufficient to heal the fever. Lucky for the couple in the article that they took advantage of the unhealthy relapse and sold their house for a nearly tax-free profit of $540,000.