My morning airplane reads (continues here):

• Blackstone’s Byron Wien: Why S&P 500 Could Hit 2300 This Year (MoneyBeat)
• Realtor.com’s new economist won’t tell you ‘It’s a great time to buy or sell a home’ (Inman News)
• How well we don’t understand probability (Flowing Data) see also Uncertainty About How Best to Convey Uncertainty (Dart Throwing Chimp)
• Companies proclaim water the next oil in a rush to turn resources into profit (The Guardian)

Continues here

Category: Financial Press

12 Responses to “10 MidWeek AM Reads”

1. hue says:

OkShallow: OkCupid experimented on users and proved everyone just looks at the pictures (Quartz)

Podcasting patent troll: We tried to drop lawsuit against Adam Carolla (ars technica) Why Audio Never Goes Viral Edit (digg) A rebroadcast, in case you didn’t hear it the first time

Study: The economy has done better under Democratic presidents (Vox) Correlation implies causation?

2. Iamthe50percent says:

Today the drum beat of warnings that the sky is falling continue in the popular press. It’s rather disconcerting. It’s downright scary!

I know I shouldn’t ask for personal advice here, but maybe you could comment on my general situation. I turn 70 next year and plan to retire. I can live without investment income but very spartanly. I can support my house, basic home cooked food, medical needs, cable TV and that’s about it without investment income.
    I have a portfolio of basic broad based mutual funds and ETF’s along with a 15% stake in AT&T which has served me well for forty years. I also have about 10% in biotech and alternate energy ETF’s which I think have long range great potential and I realize may be down hard for for years.

Do you advise me to stay put and ignore the herd instinct? I’m reminded of of a scene in of a BBC movie in which a British officer in the Napoleonic wars is addressing his green troops before their first battle. “So all you have to do is stand and fire three rounds a minute and continue firing three rounds a minute and they will break and we will win. And we all know you can load and fire three rounds a minute.” Then he mutters to himself, “But can you stand?”

I keep thing these pundits shouting “Sell!” have an ulterior motive, but it is rather scary. Again, I apologize if I’m out of line for asking for advice.

3. CD4P says:

Hey, look what CNBC found: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-nose-real-called-ophone/#!bqXQxV

They’re promoting the inventor right now (11:20 am EST).

4. couragesd says:

Powerful new source of up-to-date information on economic activity

5. willid3 says:

investors, while not having a real say, can only nudge the boards on executive pay
    and some times it even works sort of

6. willid3 says:

states want to hide fees for pensions? and we wonder why their pensions are having problems?

7. RW says:

Useless Expertise

You fairly often hear people describe the very poor track record of policy since 2008 as an indictment of economists, who clearly didn’t have the right answers. But actually mainstream macro has a pretty decent track record since 2008 — the problem was that what it said about policy was disregarded by the policymakers, who went with what they wanted to believe.

NB: Yes indeed: “went with what they wanted to believe;” seems to be a fair bit of that going around.

“Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.” –Václav Havel