Posts filed under “Markets”
Succinct Summations week ending June 12th
1. NFIB small business optimism came in at 98.3, the highest reading of the year.
2. University of Michigan consumer sentiment came in at 94.6, up from 90.7 in May.
3. US core retail sales rose 0.7% m/o/m and 3.3% y/o/y.
4. Job openings rose to 5.38m, the largest reading on record.
5. Headline PPI rose 0.5% m/o/m, slightly higher than expected. Core PPI rose just 1% m/o/m.
6. Japanese GDP was revised to an annualized gain of 3.9% vs the initial reading of 2.4%.
1. US jobless claims came in at 279k, slightly more than expected and up from 277k last week.
2. Although the major indices are less than 2% from their all-time highs, participation is deteriorating.
3. Chinese imports fell 17.6% y/o/y.
Succinct Summation of Week’s Events: Positives: 1) Job growth in May was well above expected at 280k (estimate of 226k); prior two months saw a combined upward revision of 32k. Unemployment ticked up one tenth to 5.5% because of a 397k increase in the labor force relative to the household survey gain of 272k. Participation rate was…Read More
Succinct Summation of Week’s Events: Positives: 1) Pending home sales in April rose 3.4% m/o/m, better than expectations of a gain of .9%. Y/o/y improvement was 13.4%. 2) Purchase applications were up 1.2% w/o/w off a 5 week low last week. The index though is still up 13.8% in the important spring selling season. 3)…Read More
click for ginormous chart Source: Bloomberg On this day 53 years ago, Wall Street had one of its worst sessions ever. As the Wall Street Journal reported, “The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 5.7%, down 34.95, the second-largest point decline then on record.” It was part of a longer decline that some called the “Kennedy Slide…Read More
Click for ginormous graphic
This week, our Masters in Business radio podcast, we speak with David Booth, the founder, chairman and co-CEO of Dimensional Funds Advisors (DFA). At the University of Kansas, Booth earned his B.A. in economics and M.S. in business. He went to receive his MBA from University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, where he became the teaching assistant for future…Read More
In honor and reverence to one of my favorite comedic personalities, David Letterman, and the end of his talk show career here is my own market Top 10 List. Top 10 list of Wall Street sayings that should be questioned 10) There is a lot of cash on the sidelines. There is always a…Read More
Succinct Summations week ending May 15th Positives: 1. The S&P 500 hit a new all-time high. 2. EU GDP rose 1% y/o/y. 3. NFIB small business optimism index rose to 96.9 4. Initial jobless claims came in at 264k, the 4-week moving average is the lowest it has been since April 2000. 5. Empire state…Read More