Posts filed under “Video”
Amid the chaos and chatter about this week’s financial bailout, one clear theme emerged in some quarters: The era of free-market fundamentalism is over. But is it, really?
The End Of Free-Market Fundamentalism?
American News Project, Sep 25, 2008
In 1999 Congress passed the Financial Modernization Act, which allowed banks, insurance companies and investment houses to merge. Many experts point to it as one of the causes of our current financial crisis. At the time, Byron Dorgan was one of the few senators to speak out strongly against the legislation. Looking back, his predictions in 1999 seem prophetic and, looking forward, his views raise more questions about the $700 billion bailout plan.
Video after the jump
Byron Dorgan’s Crystal Ball
American News Project, Oct 01, 2008
I saw this over the weekend, and thought it was pretty good.
Princeton economists review recent events on Wall Street and assess the implications for the economy and public policy.
- Hyun Shin, Professor of Economics and associate chair of the Department of Economics;
- Markus Brunnermeier, Professor of Economics;
- Harrison Hong, Professor in Finance;
- Paul Krugman, professor of economics and international affairs;
- Alan Blinder, Professor of Economics and Public Affairs and co‐director of the Center for Economic Policy Studies.
Is an imperial presidency destroying what America stands for?
Moyers sits down with history and international relations expert and
former US Army Colonel Andrew J. Bacevich who identifies three major
problems facing our democracy: the crises of economy, government and
militarism, and calls for a redefinition of the American way of life.