One of my all time favorites Jazz musicians is Thelonius Monk.
Our man Monk was a three way genius: As a composer, as a jazz pianist, and as an improvisationist, he was without peer, and shaped the future of Jazz. Some notable discs:
• Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane — what more can you add to these two geniuses riffing off of each other? Simply a monst rous most own.
• Monk’s Dream is a great example of Thelonious Monk in a Quartet format, with Monk at the peak of his career peak.
• Monk’s Music a classsic compositions & recordings; Bold and inspired, with Coltrane, Blakey and Hawkins. Just fabulous.
• Solo Monk a man, a piano, a studio tape recorder. Brilliant.
• Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall accidentally discovered in an unmarked box by a Library of Congress engineer early 2005 (previously mentioned in our year end review).
Videos after the jump . . .