Round out your weekend with our Sunday morning reads:
• Financial Advisers Don’t Care About Millennials, and the Feeling Is Mutual (Bloomberg)
• You wanna be right? Or make money? (Adam Grimes) see also Finding the Limitations in Your Investment Process (WOCS)
• Why Stocks Belong in a Retirement Portfolio (NYT)
• The View from the Front Seat of the Google Self-Driving Car (Medium)
• “Vanity capital” is the new metric for narcissism, and its value is greater than Germany’s GDP (Quartz)
• The Verbally Challenged John Taylor Strikes Again (Uneasy Money) see also John Taylor Misunderstands Hayek (Uneasy Money)
• Is David Gurle’s Symphony a Big Threat to Bloomberg? (Institutional Investor)
• Feds Tell Insurers To Pay For Anesthesia During Screening Colonoscopies (NPR) but see also Obamacare making insurers more responsive, efficient (MarketWatch)
• Göring’s brother was another Schindler: A German book reveals how Albert Göring saved the lives of dozens of Jews (The Independent)
• The Magic of Moss and What It Teaches Us About the Art of Attentiveness to Life at All Scales (Brain Pickings)
What are you reading?
Global Gold Demand Falls
Category: Financial Press
It used to be a religion. That’s right, late night started with Steve Allen, matured with Johnny Carson and ended with David Letterman. There are people on at 11:35 now, even 11 and 12:35, but they’re poseurs, inheritors of a throne no one pays fealty to anymore, despite a fawning press gushing in adulation, trying…Read More
This week, our Masters in Business radio podcast, we speak withBill McNabb, chief executive officer and chairman of Vanguard Group. He has a message for the fund industry: “We are not done on the cost side,” he said in an interview earlier this week as part of the Masters in Business series. “We think we need to keep raising the…Read More
The weekend is here at last! Pour yourself a big mug of steaming black Sumatra coffee, and settle in for our expertly selected long form weekend reads: • Why Can’t America Have Great Trains? A Washington Mystery. (National Journal) • Tomorrow’s Advance Man: Marc Andreessen’s plan to win the future. (New Yorker) • Part 1 of The Rise & Fall of Silk…Read More
Category: Financial Press
Nrom Nat Geo’s Untamed Americas, this enormous school of mobular rays has arrived off the coast of Baja. About one minute into the video they take to the air.
That looks like fun! Weather permitting, I will be swimming with a pair of Manta Rays later today . . .
Succinct Summations week ending May 15th Positives: 1. The S&P 500 hit a new all-time high. 2. EU GDP rose 1% y/o/y. 3. NFIB small business optimism index rose to 96.9 4. Initial jobless claims came in at 264k, the 4-week moving average is the lowest it has been since April 2000. 5. Empire state…Read More