Yesterday, I lamented the missed opportunity of the Bloomberg 50, a predictable list featuring the usual suspects. It was your grandpa’s list.

Let’s takes this up a notch — change the 5 categories of Meh! to something worthwhile, and see what sort of list you, dear readers, can help put together:

Asset Managers
Technicians/Analysts
Researchers/Strategists
Techologists/VCs
Media/Blogs

Our list could theoretically have 10 people in each category, but I suspect it won’t shake out precisely that way.

Try to suggest at least one in each category.  For example, my list might look something like this:

Asset Managers David Einhorn Jeffrey Gundlach Felix Zulauf Jeremy Grantham
Technicians/Analysts Ned Davis John Roque Bespoke Peter Brandt
Researchers/Strategists James Bianco Lakshman Achuthan Bob Farrell David Rosenberg
Techologists/VCs Google Ventures Howard Lindzon Marc Andreessen XKCD
Media/Blogs Calculated Risk FT: Alphaville Real Time Economics Bruce Bartlett

My apologies to those omitted — I am leaving a ton out — this is just a quick list off the top of my head.

All of this begs the question: Who Influences YOU the Most? Give me your suggestions, and I’ll pull together the TBP50 this week . . .

Category: Financial Press, Philosophy

39 Responses to “TBP50: Who Influences YOU the Most?”

1. doodie says:

Asset Managers: Zulauf, Grantham, Hussman, Arnott, Romick, Ritholtz
    Technicians: Aspray, Brandt, Ritholtz
    Researchers: Rosenberg, Shiller, Achuthan, Bianco, Mauldin, Faber, Ritholtz
    Bloggers: Short, Ritholtz

2. jrx says:

Barry, Anders Borg, me

3. Through the Looking Glass says:

In the land of the blind the man with one eye rules and you better hope that’s you because

none of these guys read crystal balls
    ( but they all have one they will sell you),

4. I am excluding myself from the final list !

5. terryoldham says:

Asset Manager: Ray Dalio, John Hussman, Felix Zulauf, Fil Zucchi, Jeffery Gundlach, Cullen Roche, Eric Sprott
    Tech/Analyst: Kevin Depew, Trader Dan, Jeff Cooper (I’m not real big on Tech).
    Researcher/Strategists: David Rosenberg, Meridith Whitney, Lance Roberts, James Grant, Jim Rogers, Mark Faber, Charles Hugh Smith, Grant Williams.
    Media/Blogs: Minyanville, Mish, Calculated Risk, Zero Hedge, TBP, Pragmatic Capitalism, Jesse’s Cafe Americana, Naked Capitalism, Acting Man.

6. eliz says:

Not exactly sure where to put these two — Asset Managers/Strategists/Researchers/Analysts:

1. Brian Pretti & associates: http://contraryinvestor.com/mo.htm

2. John Hussman: http://www.hussman.net/

7. eliz says:

Who influences me the most:

Brian Pretti & associates — see http://contraryinvestor.com/mo.htm

Unfortunately for me, they no longer offer their “newsletter” which came out twice a week, so now I will be relying on their monthly post.

8. GargbageInGarbageOut says:

Lakshman Achuthan Only. No one else IMO has any actionable information.

9. Dow says:

Of all the blogs out there, I think Jesse’s American Cafe has influenced me the most.

10. Good Gravy~

@ http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com

it’s.. Jesse’s Café Américain
    ~~

the recent.. http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com/2011/09/psychopaths-among-us.html

was worth reading, as well..

add’l Votes for Jim Rodgers & James Grant — how Right they were, and are, about the condition of what passes for Currency..(at the minimum..)

11. macrotrader603 says:

Noone influences my trading, as it is based off charts and algos, but with that being said…

In no particular order of those whom I think have a clue, as the list is very short.

Felix Zulauf, Marc Faber, Jim Rogers, Jim Grant, John Roque, Louise Yamada

The two best websites I have seen with regard to trading are

1. The Trader … http://www.thetrader.se/

2. Global Macro Monitor … http://macromon.wordpress.com/

12. ukarlewitz says:

Macro-Krugman
    Technical-Cobra Blog, Tony Caldaro
    Blogger- The Big Picture

13. Dow says:

Apologies, Mark. Yes… Jesse’s Café Américain.

14. b_thunder says:

Einhorn? Who’s Einhorn? What’s his claim 2 fame?
    Get rid of Einhorn, add Howard Marks

15. kenny powers says:

Technicians: John Noyce, Louise Yamada, Trader Dan Norcini, Tony Palotta, Richard Russell
    Researchers/strategists: Mebane Faber, John Hussman, Lakshman Acuthan/ECRI, David Rosenberg, Marc Faber, Felix Zulauf
    Blogs: TBP, Zerohedge, Macrostory

Newsletters:

Gloom, Boom and Doom Report
    Rosenberg’s Market Musings
    The Casey Report (not the other crap they produce over there)
    Dow Theory Letters
    The Privateer

16. ukituki says:

Last week I created a miniwebsite (http://youmustreadit.com) to make following the best sources easy for my friends lacking tech skills to setup and maintain RSS reader on their own. There are 70 blogs now, but I will update it soon using the suggestions from this thread.

@ukituki

17. Dow,

nbd..it’s like mis-spelling “Jim Rodgers” — no ‘d’ in the Man’s name..~

BR,

you have one of those ‘crowd-sourcing’ App-thingys..

why not collate the ‘Greatest Hits’, and allow ‘voting’, for the final List?

18. Gator81 says:

Peter Brandt
    Barry Ritholtz
    Tom Bulkowski
    Alexander Nikolov
    Colin Twiggs
    Cam Hui
    Rob Hanna
    Jeff Miller

I read every one, every day.

19. skyrou says:

Ii is very funny that ZH is so popular.
    Asset Managers: David Einhorn
    Technicians: Bill Mclaren
    Researchers: Faber, Shiller, Mark Hulbert (awesome contrarian indicator, he is wrong all the time)
    Blogs: The Big Picture, FT Alphaville, Naked Capitalism, Aleph Blog

- Ultimi Barbarorum
    - Global Macro Monitor
    - The Big Picture
    - Marginal Revolution
    - Krugman’s Conscience of a Liberal

21. Orange14 says:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Warren Buffett as an asset manager. His track record with Berkshire speaks for itself.

22. Crabbybill says:

Bill Fleckenstein should be considered for Researcher/Strategist category

23. dkelland says:

1. David Rosenberg
    2. Edward Chancellor
    3. Barry Ritholtz

24. number2son says:

Yves Smith and naked capitalism belongs on everyone’s list.

25. lars1nyc says:

BCA: Martin Barnes for Research

26. Jim67545 says:

Can I vote for TBP? Not the usual rah rah pablum found elsewhere and the bloggers’ comments are normally interesting and informative. Love the references to reading material and those supplied by the bloggers.

Aside from that I look at Calculated Risk but the bloggers are nearly worthless. John Hussman’s periodic comments seem solid/reasonable although his funds do not seem to be doing all that well.

27. junkndump says:

I would add George Soros and emphasize Lakshman Achuthan/ECRI.

28. David Yaseen says:

I’d have to say Naked Capitalism instead of CR. CR was very useful and educational in the pre- and during-crash phases (g_d bless Tanta!), but now it features mostly in-depth information, which one could, with a good deal of effort, get elsewhere. As for opinion and direction, Yves is without peer.

29. arthurcutten says:

I would tend to include Jim Grant, Chris Whalen, Mark Thoma, Barry Ritholz, and Yves Smith.

While not a blogger, King World News is a good source for the lesser covered metals perspective.
    I have a list of about 20 blogs I read every day, and they are a very eclectic bunch. CR is a good steady source.
    But one finds the tidbits and flashes of brilliance in many places.

As for traders, everyone talks their book, and lies about their losses, so I would not include any of them. lol.

30. [...] have been looking at “influence” a lot lately, and it is gratifying to see the new media community influencing the debate [...]

31. murrayv says:

blogs: http://www.ritholtz.com (you can’t leave yourself off if you want a valid list), http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/, http://neweconomicperspectives.blogspot.com/

Otherwise you already have anyone I could suggest, but I agree with the Culbert suggestion.

32. Molesworth says:

I LOVE XKCD! Hooray for including him.
    BR influences my thinking.
    Also:
    Researchers/Strategists
    Didier Sornette
    Mathematic formula for bubble and negative bubble detection:

If anyone invests using his formula, pipe up. I’ll consider giving you $$ bec it’s too mathy for my small brain.

33. southernboy says:

I’ve read a lot of these sorts for going on 30 years. I’ve culled down those I give serious attention to a very few. Jeff deGraaf of Renaissance Macro is the best technician out there. Francois Trahan of Wolfe, Trahan is the best (long-only, largely equity) strategist, with the best business cycle work extant (including ECRI). I read Grantham regularly but find a lot of what he says compelling if not particularly actionable. Rob Arnott and Ray Dalio always reward attention. I read TBP every day.

34. Becky says:

I like Peter Boockvar, Bill Strazzullo, Tobias Levkovich and Lakshman Achuthan. I don’t know where to find their daily market comments if they write daily, so I read TBP for Boockvar on the economy and watch CNBC hoping they are on television.

35. Sleddog says:

How about Donald Coxe as a strategist.

36. [...] I solicited you the home viewer to suggest a more significant group of influential people  — who affect your thinking, your trading and your [...]

37. wsm3 says:

Hugh Hendry

38. thenarrator says:

Asset managers: Cliff Asness, David Tepper, Jim Rogers, George Soros, Jeremy Grantham, Doug Kass, Michael Cuggino
    Analysts: Liz Ann Sonders, Jurrien Timmer