click for full infographic

Via Frugal Dad:

Media Consolidation Infographic
Source: Frugal dad

Category: Digital Media, Financial Press

14 Responses to “Media Consolidation: The Illusion of Choice”

1. theexpertisin says:

Interesting chart.

Is the “illusion of choice” in media limited to the United States?

2. Michael Gat says:

I think your link must have overloaded his site. Can’t see the graphic or connect to him.

But I suspect I know what it shows.

I suspect that if you could trace back the core motivators, this is also why I sold the TV and disconnected cable this past week. There really isn’t much choice. A few large corporate owners of all the stations you might want to watch, who mostly just imitate each other’s shows, creating slight variations on the same thing over and over and over to the point where it becomes completely pointless to watch anymore.

And I won’t even get into their BS practice of “packaging” everything, so you can’t actually pay for the things you want, and instead end up with an $80 bill every month, just to get 5-6 things that you do.

Time Warner still has my internet, because they’re the best of a couple of lousy providers around here. For important local news during an emergency, I can still turn on the radio or plug the rabbit ears into a small set in my workout room. The rest of it? Well, I guess I’ll miss Mythbusters and a couple of things on HBO, but not to the tune of $80 a month.

3. RW says:

The notion of “liberal media” or, if it comes to that, even a “conservative media” is clearly bunk: there is only one media, corporate.

Of course there is the internet, an interesting experiment in democracy (and anarchy) as well as open markets, which only makes it more clear why congress is ready to pass the Stop Internet Piracy Act (SOPA): exclusive ownership of content and restricting its use is clearly in corporate interests.

4. Doofus says:

The graphic is good, the information is interesting, but it is simply a starting point for a much more important discussion – the effects of the “control” of the media by such a small number of corporations.

To understand the effects of this consolidation, read Manufacturing Consent, written in 1988, updated in 2002.

One of the key messages of the book is that the corporations controlling the media diet inexorably narrow the spectra of topics and attitudes that achieve mass-market exposure. In many cases, subconscious self-censorship in the best interests of the corporations is responsible for this narrowing of the limits of acceptable discourse.

Echoes of Orwell’s essay on the sculpting of language to effect control over others, Politics and the English Language

5. this is a nice -graph..

“TV Guide” should Print this, inside the Cove, every Week.. (as if they would..)
    ~~

“…there is only one media, corporate.”–from RW, above

puts it succinctly, enough..
    ~~

“…corporations controlling the media diet inexorably narrow the spectra of topics and attitudes that achieve mass-market exposure…”

and, We need to remember that their Partner, through the FCC, is the USGov …
    ~~

yet, when telling People that ~”We live in one of the most close ‘Media Markets’ in the World..” — the reaction is, hardly, one of well-accepted Agreement..
    ~~

I guess some think that ‘Shooting Fish in a Barrel” is Sport..myself? not so much..

6. EdDunkle says:

Regarding the “Mrs. Robinson” problem: try Spotify or MOG or something similar. These services should pretty much kill whatever is left of the music INDUSTRY.

7. louiswi says:

It is time for a national movement that would truly benefit all. The movement is simply: “TV free by 2013″. An easy start is to cancel cable. This could catch on like wildfire with some leadership involved.

8. ReductiMat says:

Anyone remember Noam Chomsky and Manufacturing Consent?

9. RW says:

“Anyone remember Noam Chomsky and Manufacturing Consent?”

Yep.

Manufacturing Consent.

10. machinehead says:

‘Mrs. Robinson’ is a fine song. I heard it in real time when it first hit the charts.

But it’s appalling how about 500 iconic megahits from the 60s, 70s and 80s have been codified by corporate radio into a kind of unofficial Boomer Hymnal.

For the next 30 years, their Muzak versions will waft down from the ceilings in nursing and assisted living homes. As the Stones’ “Hey, You, Get Offa My Cloud” airs inappropriately at lunchtime, some of the more pop-oriented Boomer geezers will bang their crutches on their wheelchairs, demanding “more Beatles.”

“Let it be, Gramps,” wisecrack the youthful staffers, for whom Beatles songs are as distant in the past as the 1932 hit “Yes, We Have No Bananas” was for the Boomers.

11. louiswi says:

I should have been more precise: “TV FREE BY TWO O ONE THREE” I’m thinking a Grover Norquist kind of pledge. I took it.

12. Greg0658 says:

“unofficial Boomer Hymnal” … good one

Goose: HAHAhahha You Kill Me
    Top Gun – 1986

13. Brookwood says:

I have been TV free for years- when they switched to a digital signal I never upgraded my set. The only TV I see is walking by the eight giant sets at my gym. All Snooki all the time. It’s not such a big sacrifice if you think about it. Or if you think at all.

14. ToNYC says:

All that money and we get multiple-choice based knowledge like penny candy in everybody’s house.
    That’s media of control by limited choice and verified by constant polling to assure the moment’s proper range of conservative, moderate, and extreme choices.
    Critical thinking class was not graded.