click for complete infographic

click for ginormous graphic

Source: Hunch

Category: Technology

13 Responses to “Droid vs iOS”

1. anonymous123 says:

I never have commented on here before, but wanted to say I thought this was a very poor graphical choice for a website that (I believe) promotes deeper understanding through statistics and logic. Seems to be many obvious problems with this — of course cheaper phones such as Android are going to have different demographics. The same conclusions could be reached by studying different income groups

2. dsawy says:

WTF?

I’ve seen some useless marketing information in my decades in hi-tech, but this takes the cake.

3. Joe Friday says:

Q2 2011 ?

Last I saw, the recent numbers from just a few months ago have the Android OS up to around 47% and Apple OS down to around 26% market share of smartphone owners.

4. af says:

This is over a year old.

It would be interesting to see how things have changed.

Until September this year, I was an iPhone user, demographically fitting quite well into the iPhone user bucket. I had used Android phones, but considered them dramatically inferior to the iPhone.

However, I became an Android user. What changed my mind? Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Jelly Bean, Google Now, Swiftkey.

5. Livermore Shimervore says:

Stats are nearly useless.

Android have premium smart phones and low end phones and somewhere in the middle phones. The most expensive phone at Best Buy for nearly the entire year before Iphone5 was the Razr Maxx at $800. There’s an Android phone for every demographic. From expensive monthly Verizon subscriber to pre-paid user who purchased the phone at Wal-Mart for $100.

Apple have only one phone. There is no low end phone. There is no budget-minded phone.
    You have to have the means to carry a mandatory data plan.

As far as demographics this chart is like comparing apples and circular saws.

p.s.
    Where is the stat that says 40% of Iphone users thought their Iphone 4/S was a 4G phone?
    This seems to emphasize the point that while Iphone users may on average be better educated, in general they are not very tech savvy…. they live in the Apple bubble and know little beyond it.
    Five years ago I would probably say the opposite. The average Apple customer was more knowledgeable.

6. Livermore Shimervore says:

p.p.s.
    Droid is a type of Android Phone. The terms are not interchangeable. Who are these Hunch people?

7. jb.mcmunn says:

Android users are 39% of the market but only 21% of the Hunch survey.

Meanwhile “other” has 4% of the market and 23% of the Hunch survey.

Conclusion:

1. Android users are much less likely to respond to a Hunch survey.

2. People with non-Android/non-iPhone OS are much more likely to respond to a Hunch survey.

Questions:

1. Is this because the respective OS users have different affinities for using Hunch itself, or do they have different tendencies to respond to surveys?

2. Who cares?

3. What is Hunch?

8. WallaWalla says:

I have to agree with the above comments. The data presented here is less than useless. Upon investigating this hunch.com, I am going to make the hypothesis that tech-savy people, who are predominantly android users to begin with, are much less likely to use a service whose sole purpose is massive data mining.

9. peachin says:

Just a “Note” yes Note 2 – proud owner – Steve Wozniak – The Woz – Note 2 is a larger version of galaxy III – OK,
    the rest of this survey is bull shit!

10. Tulips says:

Interesting discussion. Where are the iFanBoys? Does this data that is presented actually resemble “reality” or is it emitted from the Ministry of Truth aka a propaganda machine? One has to wonder…

11. Tulips says:

Only sissies enslave themselves to a platform. Real folks keep their options open.

12. readerOfTeaLeaves says:

Amazed by the negative comments about this comparison, I had to log in because I found it intriguing.
    More than intriguing, actually.

Is it the Holy Grail? No.
    So what?
    It’s definitely worth putting in to the mix.

13. [...] Philosophie hinter den Produkten scheint eine andere zu sein, und das merkt man. (mehr dazu hier, hier,und hier) (und ein genereller Vergleich von Android und iOS hier bei [...]