Google is challenging Apple iTunes and Amazon Locker with Google Play, in the hope of grabbing some marketshare, or even overthrowing them. Can Google, be the underdog in this space?

Click for complete graphic

click for even bigger damned infographic

Category: Digital Media, Music, Technology

18 Responses to “GooglePlay Takes on Apple iTunes & Amazon Cloud”

1. idaman says:

Google is Microsoft and it is 1995 all over again.

Give me one reason Apple is not repeating the same mistakes that let Microsoft dominate PCs 20 years ago that will now allow Google to dominate mobile computing.

2. Bob A says:

there are an awful lot of android phone users out there and they’re all becoming more and more familiar (and satisfied) with the google ecosystem every day. most iphone users will probably remain iphone users but iphone is simply not keeping up.

3. idaman says:

@Bob A

I know it’s most certainly to late for Microsoft, but frankly, there phone’s OS is better than both Android and IOs, and the reviews are mostly wrong about their tablet, which has some unique and impressive features, like snapback, that the iPad lacks. This is mostly a comment about Apple. I think they are complacent. What a mistake.

4. idaman says:

That being said, Apple is trading for 10.5 x next years earning estimates. With the best brand goodwill on earth, it has to be worth at least 13 x. That’s $650. It’s a screaming buy.

5. idaman,

you point out..”…about Apple. I think they are complacent. What a mistake…”

more peep would do Well by thinking about that (some)..

or, simply, after peeping..

Ask themselves, ‘Is this, really, an Equity that I want to be Long?’

or, differently, they could Put these..

on their ‘Shopmas’-List, and Join the ‘~400 in 4′-(soon to be) Crowd..

6. idaman says:

@Mark E Hoffer

I’m a buyer. I think Apple’s brand goodwill will carry it for several more very good years, even without a new blockbuster product, which one shouldn’t invest hoping on. But in the long run, they are falling behind even Microsoft’s phone, which is sad. Lucky for them, Microsoft brand goodwill is so bad, they can’t even sell a good product. They blew it.

7. “…The WAV format is the most common of the common digital file types. It is an older format, made as a joint effort between IBM and Microsoft as a way to put audio files on personal computers. WAV files tend to be very large, since they are not compressed at all, so it is rare to find them where space is at a premium. They are used where space is not a big concern, or where compression is not possible for other reasons — standard compact discs, for example, use an uncompressed file using pulse-code modulation (PCM).

The MP3 format is probably the most well known digital audio format, and is a good example of a lossy compression system. The MP3 format was developed in the late 1980s, and had a huge spike in popularity in the mid-1990s with the popularity of the Internet as a file-sharing medium. MP3 files are ideal for sharing online or in any context where space is at a premium because they can be compressed down to much smaller sizes than WAV formats. The quality is reduced — most MP3s are encoded at anywhere between 160 and 320 kb/s, as opposed to the 1411.2 kb/s of a WAV file — but for many people, the loss of sound fidelity is unnoticeable, especially with inexpensive speakers.

AAC, or Advanced Audio Coding, is another audio format that has seen huge popularity in the Internet age. It is a newer compression system, and is generally agreed upon as having a higher-quality sound at the same compression levels as MP3. AAC is also able to accept digital rights management (DRM) systems, which limit how the files can be used or transported. The best example of this is Apple’s use of the AAC format, wrapping it in their DRM system, FairPlay, and putting it in its own container, with the .MP4 extension. While normal AAC files are compatible with a wide range of operating systems and devices, AAC files in an .MP4 wrapper are compatible only with Apple’s software and devices…”

O, and, as an aside, remember, Morse Code is an example of “pulse-code modulation (PCM)” ..~

8. rj chicago says:

I miss the days of going to the record store – browsing the aisles and listening to something the owner had on the turntable while I shopped.
    Much of the album art was just jaw dropping to boot – much less the tidbits on the inner sleeve.

9. Chad says:

idaman hit the nail on the head. This is almost exactly the same as Apple vs Microsoft. Though, I do think Apple will fair a little better after this is all said and done than it did against Microsoft, but Google will still dominate. As, an iPhone owner I think a lot about switching. I hate that Apple controls me. Plus, that whole “it just works” is complete BS, as my iPhone and iPad crash a lot. Then on top of that, no way I’m paying double for a computer that is less powerful. They still have the best tablet and their phone is still in the 1st tier, but they need to innovate in the next 1-2 years or they will lose their super prime position.

Also, agree that Apple is a nice buy at this time.

10. Livermore Shimervore says:

1- Go to Gooogle

2- Type in: Why Itunes (without hitting send)

#1 result…. Top 10 reasons Itunes sucks.

#2 result … I’d rather have a donkey kick to the balls than use Itunes.

#3 result…. Itunes the work of satan

encourage competition. Use Amazon MP3.

11. idaman,

with..”…I’m a buyer…”

that’s fine, it’s a ‘Market’, afterall, still(?), no?

tho..

re: MSFT ‘Phone’..

see..

or, for more..

and, note..”…As, an iPhone owner I think a lot about switching. I hate that Apple controls me. Plus, that whole “it just works” is complete BS, as my iPhone and iPad crash a lot…”

as recently as ~3 months ago, that would have been seen as *Heresy..

now, more people are less afraid to speak/realize the *Truth of the Matter..

anecdotal? Sure.

but, remember..”It began with a single (Butterfly-)Wing flap…”

12. James Cameron says:

—-

And they’re also providing inexpensive but very high quality alternatives to the carrier provided phones re: Nexus 4, which has sold out. See, for example: http://goo.gl/aRGzX. There’s also a lot to be said for a mobile device (a phone is just a small part of what they do anymore . . .) that receives software updates as they become available.

13. also, more on ‘Audio Codecs’..

“…Compact Disc became a technological time trap for audiophiles. Its almost-good-enough digital specification put the development of digital in suspended animation, locking us in to an outdated nineteen eighties way of digitising music. No surprise then that in recent years, many hi-fi purists have been turning back to vinyl which – being analogue – offers almost infinite levels of resolution. “Analogue audio systems are limited not by digital bits, but atoms,” argues Hi-Fi World magazine’s Paul Rigby. “Where LP record playback fails is in the mechanical tolerances of the playback equipment, such as bearing friction and so on, rather than the resolution of the format itself. With digital though, it can only be so good and no better…”

(remember, “MP3s” are Below this level (mentioned above)..)

“…Enter Free Lossless Audio Codec in 2001 – which was an altogether more intelligent way of encoding music. Rather than the compressed system that MP3 used which reduces file sizes by about 80% by cutting out most of the music you can’t hear (and some that you can), FLAC used a clever ‘lossless’ packing system that doesn’t remove any music at all, and saves about 30% to 50% of space. “It’s a problem-free system,” says Professor Hawksford, “if the arithmetic is performed correctly and the compressed files are not corrupted then there are no errors in the reconstructed output.”

Whilst we’ve seen a number of lossless systems, from Apple Lossless (ALAC) to Windows Media Audio Lossless (WMA Lossless), the Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) has emerged triumphant for music-loving hi-fi buffs. The spiritual successor to MP3, it’s an open-source system that’s not tied to any one manufacturer, which explains it success. Better still, it comes in more than one resolution. Whilst you can encode your CDs to FLAC keeping their 16-bit, 44.1kHz resolution, FLAC can also come in 24-bit form too. “The system is so flexible that it can take anything from 4 to 32 bits and sample rates up to 655350Hz in 1 Hz steps – it can certainly replace 24/96 DVD-Audio”, says Albert Yong.

BETTER THAN CD …”

note..’they’ reference Malcolm Hawksford, Professor of Psychoacoustics at Essex University, for a reason..

“Psychoacoustics”

LSS: MP3s will make you Stupid.

14. Tulips says:

Recently purchased my Windows 8 Phone…. Love it! Tied into my Xbox account, signed up for unlimited music for chump change. Now I can ditch iTunes which I despise; my kids can put away their iPods for good.

Microsoft’s phone is a sweet phone and it syncs well with my personal stuff (mostly music) and my work stuff as well. My personal opinion: folks that bash Microsoft’s phone have not actually tried it or even held one to observe how it functions.

15. Tulips says:

And besides the linkage to my Xbox games, Music, SkyDrive for my docs with my Windows 8 phone… I should say that what I am most pleased about is my ability to actually have a phone call on my phone that I can hear. I am hearing impaired. It’s been so many years that I could have a good call on my phone where I could clearly understand what was said. I have the HTC phone on Verizon and I am so thankful that I can have a phone call that I can actually hear! It is clear as a bell, as if they are standing next to me speaking. I just add that note in case there might be others in the same situation as me.

16. Where are you getting your sales numbers from?
    Please read the industry standard information at ifpi.com
    To save you the trouble, go to this press release with the correct info on sales for music…
    The Guardian uses the correct numbers.

$16Billion total
    $5.8B digital

Those iTunes numbers… are you including app sales?
    You’ve written an irresponsible article with those numbers and no source for your information.
    It’s not that hard to search for correct information.

I suggest you rewrite and rethink who you are serving.

BR: I will forward your comments to the people who created the infographic

17. howdy says:

A creative-type that uses android yellow, green for iTunes?

BR you have a Mac, iTunes is blue.

Numbers from Apple last March

“The revolutionary App Store offers more than 550,000 apps to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users in 123 countries around the world…

The 25 billionth app downloaded, Where’s My Water? Free, was downloaded by Chunli Fu of Qingdao, China. As the winner of the App Store Countdown to 25 Billion Apps, Chunli Fu will receive a $10,000 iTunes® Gift Card.”

700,000 apps for Play? huh?

18. zozie says:

Free is great as a consumer – but is it really a business model?

Amazon gave away Kindles (below profitable pricing) betting buyers would download tons of books – how did that work out? Personally, I think buyers used them to access the internet and were bummed out if it didn’t measure up as an iPad substitute.

A lot of people in the investment community actively want to see Apple fail. Oh well – not the first time biases colored investment decisions. But remember that you can’t make money if you give it away for free.

My perception of Google is that it makes a ton of money off all those annoying ads that pop up everywhere. That is their weak flank – someone comes up with a less annoying, more effective ad delivery system and Google doesn’t have an income stream.

We’ll just have to wait and see.