I teased this last week, mentioned it again Monday, and now the news is finally out: I am joining the team at Bloomberg View as well as the Radio group.

This is a project that has been quite literally 6 years in the making. Back when he was Managing Editor of the NYT Sunday Business section, Tim O’Brien first approached me about writing for him. (My response: “Thaler, Shiller, Mankiw . . . Ritholtz? I don’t think so.“). We had ongoing discussions, but they O’Brien moved on before we were able to consummate anything.

Tim joined Bloomberg View earlier this year as its Chief Cook and Bottle Washer/Publisher. He has been given the budget and the freedom to pursue a specific objective: Make Opinion and Commentary smart again. I am thrilled to be part of that project.

I am also super jazzed about working with their Radio team to develop a weekly show. The elevator pitch was the Charlie Rose of finance meets Mark Maron on Bloomberg Radio and iTunes. The goal is to continue to do the sort of in depth interviews like I have done in the past with the all stars of investing:  Ned Davis, Felix Zulauf, Paul Desmond, etc. Its a work in progress, and I have no idea what it will look like when we are finished, but I expect it to be smart, informative — and not boring

I have had other discussions with other media outlets over the years: Reuters, CNBC, Huffington Post, lots more. Somehow, it never quite felt right. This one does.

More coming soon . . .

Full press release after the jump

Barry Ritholtz Joins Bloomberg View

November 1, 2013

NEW YORK — Bloomberg View today announced that Barry L. Ritholtz is joining the opinion and analysis site as a columnist covering finance, the economy, and the business world writ large.

“Barry brings a singular and authoritative voice to our core business coverage,” said David Shipley, the senior executive editor of Bloomberg View. “We’re thrilled that he’s decided to make View his new home.”

Ritholtz runs the closely followed finance blog, The Big Picture, which will now largely serve as an archive for his work, which will now originate on Bloomberg View. Ritholtz, who also works as a money manager and has been a professional market strategist, specializes in quantitative and behavioral analyses of markets and the economy and approaches both as a witty and iconoclastic contrarian.

Ritholtz has written on such topics as the psychology of investing and decision-making, Wall Street and banking, and fiscal and monetary policy. He was an early and prescient observer of the housing and financial crisis several years ago. His book, “Bailout Nation,” offers an incisive exploration of the roots of that crisis.

He is a frequent guest on television and radio and he will continue to do so across Bloomberg’s various global media platforms. In addition to other media appearances, he will develop a weekly radio show and podcast for Bloomberg View and Bloomberg News covering finance, the economy, and the business world.

Ritholtz studied mathematics and physics at Stony Brook University, where he also earned an undergraduate degree in political science. He has a law degree, cum laude, from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. He worked briefly as an attorney before pursuing a career in finance. He launched The Big Picture blog in 2003.

A New York Knicks fan, a boater, and a vintage sports car enthusiast, Ritholtz and his wife, Wendy, live on the North Shore of Long Island.

Category: Financial Press, Media, Weblogs

28 Responses to “Announcing My New Bloomberg Gig”

1. BennyProfane says:

Congratulations. Well deserved.

2. Bridget says:

New gigs galore! Congratulations once again.

3. Internet Tourettes says:

Congratulations!

I hope that you would also be able to get some accredited (non-bank, non-ideologic) Economists on your show too….

When do you start?

4. louis says:

Congrats, Stay True, Don’t get captured.

5. ashpelham2 says:

Congratulations to you Mr. Ritholtz. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on TV, but please keep the same frankness you use on the blog! Tell it like it is!

6. scone says:

Congrats! I’ll tune in.

7. jpmist says:

Congrats! I have been a daily listener of Bloomberg Radio for several years. I consider their hosts and guests as being of far greater depth and credibility than the TV side of Bloomberg as well as any other TV finance show. Freed of the 30 second soundbite, Bloomberg radio has the perfect format to actually inform their listeners about issues affecting finance.

I look forward to your editorial voice on Bloomberg. Your “truth to power” take no prisoners point of view desperately needs to be heard.

But what means this? “Ritholtz runs the closely followed finance blog, The Big Picture, which will now largely serve as an archive for his work, which will now originate on Bloomberg View.”

8. DeDude says:

Congratulations. Glad to hear that the blog will continue even if it becomes the secondary outlet to things that come out on Bloomberg.

9. maspablo says:

Phew . I misinterpreted , was thinking of more blog changes . Sounds great . congrats BR !
    I guess I missed your last CNBC appearance, earlier this week . heh heh ..

10. Herman Frank says:

Please, when “live”, no screaming, shouting, emotional ranting or other over-the-top stuff …..
    No matter what the boss, shareholders and Nielsen-rating folks try to convince you of “to make it more juicy”.

Stay the course! A spade is a spade, and you can just simply mention that “it’s a spade!”
    Your faithful cohort of investors “with mud on their wellies” will simply tune in at the set time, pulling their kids to their side and saying “Sit down and listen what the man has to say! Afterwards we’ll talk!”
    And then I can explain to Jr. that some people are worth listening to and are worth “making time for”.

Make it come true!
    Please.

11. mpetrosian says:

Awesome news! RIP Fora.tv I hope.

12. awealthofcommonsense says:

That’s awesome. I love Bloomberg View and the takes the authors have on all things economic/political/banking/financial but there seems to be a lack of viewpoint from the investment management side of things on these issues which is where you’ll bolster the current line up. Also, I love listening to podcasts on my commute so I’ll be happy to add yours to my playlist. Congrats.

13. rickw says:

Well done and well deserved. I always learn something new and appreciate you passing along your “bits” of wisdom. Tear ‘em up!

14. Concerned Neighbour says:

Congratulations Barry. This is a well-deserved accomplishment, and I wish it great success. The world in general, and your industry in particular, are in severe need of more critical, objective thinking. I truly hope you don’t lose that as you continue your ascendance to global domination.

15. tlittell says:

Congratulations Barry! I look forward to tunIng in.

16. Frilton Miedman says:

Outstanding!

Congratulations, the biz media needs honest journalism, I agree on the choice of Bloomberg for that reason.

17. hs says:

Congratulations BR.

18. Chief Tomahawk says:

Oh, there are temper tantrums going on at CNBC now over this!!! You’ve ruined their weekend, BR. And because we fall back this weekend, you’ve stuck them with an extra hour of misery…

19. rpseawright says:

This is great news, Barry. The radio gig will be a wonderful addition to what’s [generally not] available in that arena.

20. boveri says:

Well done and deserved recognition of your broad talent Barry.

21. bonderman says:

Barry,
    Bloomberg is a wonderful opportunity and we will look forward to seeing some great comments.
    Your appearance in Newport Beach is still generating positive comments and we thank you
    for the two lectures on behavioral investing.

Mike Smith

22. eideard says:

I don’t know why it never occurred to me you might know Om Malik. From back in his NYC days, I guess. He has a nice post at his personal blog, this morning, about your new gig.

We’re pleased all round. My wife gets the daily VIEW e-newsletter at work and happily has one more good reason to read it.

23. “…Somehow, it never quite felt right. This one does…”

BR,

May it remain so~

Also, as others have mentioned, ~”Keep on, keepin’ on!”

The ideosphere should benefit..~

ideosphere
    The realm of memetic evolution, as the biosphere is the realm of biological evolution. The entire memetic ecology. (Hofstadter.) The health of an ideosphere can be measured by its memetic diversity.

24. MikeInSF says:

Congratulations, Mr. Ritholtz. “Make(ing) Opinion and Commentary smart again” as been a key component of this site from the get-go. Great to see that you have another avenue to take it on the road.

25. [...] media template for the next 10 years. Barry announced this week, a new initiative with Bloomberg here. Most asset managers like myself, start with managing the money and then try and get exposure from [...]

26. bear_in_mind says:

Congratulations, indeed! I think Bloomberg scored a real coup here and hopefully signals a shift toward thinking versus shouting. Here’s hoping this gig fulfills you in every way possible and remains a “Goldilocks” fit as long as you want to pursue it.

27. [...] it has the potential to be a game changer.  Like the last few surprise announcements – this and this — I can only tease this for now. But assuming things go okay, there may be an [...]